Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Metz (2)

10 June 2015:  I enjoyed a day of tourism, rest and reading in Metz.  The center of the city is very attractive, with pleasant walking streets, animated squares and grand architecture.  I visited the Pompidou Museum this morning – and only scratched the surface of the three current exhibitions.

I also took time to plan the next few days of hiking and to make reservations along (or reasonably close to) the trail. 

*   *   *
Breakfast in my stateroom in the barge:


Le Musée Pompidou Metz:



I really liked this work: a collection of metal bowls, of different sizes, floating in a pool with some flow in the water that caused the bowls to bump gently against each other.  Since the bowls are of different sizes, the pitch of the sounds made when they bump differs.  Result: a random concert of soft chimes.  I wish I had thought of that!


There were several groups of young children visiting the museum.  It appeared that the guides were doing an excellent job of explaining these works of art and engaging the children with suggestions for sketching and other creative activities in response to the works of art before them.  Every child was attentive and involved.  No doubt their teachers deserve credit, as well.  I was impressed!



A plat lorrain with various regional specialties:


No comments:

Post a Comment