Saturday, July 25, 2015

Nyon (1)

24 July 2015:  I walked today from Les Rousses to Nyon.  All the way.  After crossing the Swiss border at La Cure (about an hour from Les Rousses), the trail meandered through forests and fields for a couple of hours.  That was pleasant, but after Saint-Cergue, the trail followed a rocky path straight down the slope for an hour or so and then paved roads for two hours.  It was interesting to walk upon the remains of an old Roman road for a few meters, but apart from that, the afternoon trail was merely something to be endured, rather than enjoyed.  By the end, I regretted that I had not hopped on the little tourist train that runs from La Cure, with a stop in Saint-Cergue, to Nyon. 

On the other hand, I felt some satisfaction in arriving on foot in Nyon, for this is a major milestone on the GR5.  Here, on the shores of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva), major sections of the GR5 lie behind me: Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Lorraine, the Vosges and the Jura.  But across the lake loom... the Alps!

I will take a rest day tomorrow, and Mary will join me here.  We will start our Alpine trek together on Sunday.

*   *   *

This morning, I followed a road south from Les Rousses to La Cure, on the border with Switzerland. 


The French and Swiss border control buildings at La Cure were unoccupied. 


No white & red GR-markers here.  In Switzerland, low-country trails ("Tourisme Pédestre") are marked with yellow signs and blazes. 




Hiking through forests and fields between La Cure and Saint-Cergue:



Naturally, there were cows and cow bells...


The rocky path running south from Saint-Cergue:


The best parts of the path were built long ago by the Romans.  Lac Léman is visible in the distance.



On the road again...




Approaching Nyon, I passed the parking and camping area for the big, week-long music festival, Le Paleo. 




Enfin!


I'm staying in an apartment in this building that I booked through airbnb.  It's a modern, comfortable place, and the hostess, Marcela, is friendly and helpful.  I was lucky to find this place during the final days of the Paleo festival!



2 comments:

  1. Great reporting. Are the cobble stones in the road for 'Old Romans' from Roman times? Those stones are clearly hand-lain. Wisdom might be with getting oneself on the right end of the whip! So, Mary will be back for the Alps. Great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are, indeed, old Roman cobbles. I wonder if they had lollipop girls on the worksite?...

      Delete