Thursday, July 23, 2015

Les Rousses

23 July 2015:  The thunderstorm never hit Chapelle-des-Bois.  There was just some light, occasional rain during the night.  But the weather did change:  This morning, the sky was overcast, threatening but never delivering rain.  The cooler temperature was pleasant for hiking.  

I hiked for an hour along the lower edge of the forest that covers a large ridge southeast of Chapelle-des-Bois.  Then, at a place called Caserne des Douanes (we're near the Swiss border here), the trail plunged into the forest and climbed very steeply up to the crest of the ridge (160 m. elevation gain in about 15 minutes of hiking).  I was completely alone on the trail.  The low clouds enveloping the forest heightened the sense of solitude.  

The long hike down from the ridge to Les Rousses was not so interesting.  Most of the "trail" was on a paved road or hard forest road.  It was monotonous and hard on my feet.  I was pleased to arrive at my hotel in Les Rousses and only sorry that Mary is not here to enjoy it with me.  We share vivid memories of a long, hard hike in the rain to Les Rousses in 1989, when we fell into a comfortable hotel and a good dinner.

*   *   *

Looking back to Chapelle-des-Bois this morning:


Views of the valley, as I hiked along the edge of the forest:



Chapelle-des-Bois offers "golfe rustique".  It looks like it would be fun!  I'm sure Mary would like to try it.



This cross marks the location of a "Cimetière des Pestiférés", where victims of the plague were buried.  Chapelle-des-Bois did not have its own cemetery until 1639. 


Continuing along the edge of the forest:



Then the trail plunged into the forest...


... and climbed!


Views from the crest of the ridge, at La Roche Bernard:



Descent from the ridge:




Hôtel La Redoute in Les Rousses:


Tonight's sunset at 9:20 pm:


2 comments:

  1. "Views of the valley/ as I hiked along the edge of the forest" I like that poetic line, and that photo is a 'keeper.' It's probably just as well Mary was not there for the pass by the golf course, rough or otherwise. We might have to have seen a film of a haggard man beseeching his girl to forego a round or two, and with miles to go before I sleep, if you get my meaning. Friends of mine out in Saudi Arbabia, one named Findlay, a died in the wool Scot, used to go golfing 'in the rough' and described the course as "a sand course with some green traps." Some remarks one can never forget! I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Mary would indeed have been attracted to golfe rustique. She will join me tomorrow and will doubtless have tales to tell about her golf as she rested and recovered from her illness.

      Delete