Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Le Gros Morond

20 July 2015:  I enjoyed this morning's walk.  I got off to a leisurely start: I shopped for lunch at a grocery store in Les Fourgs. Then, after about an hour of walking, I reached a little chapel at the top of a hill overlooking Les Fourgs.  There was a bench in the shade of the chapel – a good spot for a break.  I ended up spending an hour searching for accommodations in Nyon this weekend.  That turned out to be difficult, because there is a music festival in Nyon this weekend.  I finally found a place through Airbnb.  I was then ready to hike!

The trail took me through gentle hills and open forests.  It was another hot, sunny day, but there was often a refreshing breeze.  

My destination today was a CAF refuge called Le Gros Morond, a short distance beyond and below the summit of Le Morond (1419 m.)  The refuge has no gardien (when reserving by email, I received an access code and instructions for use of the refuge), and of course there are no meals provided at the refuge.  There are cooking facilities available:  It's called "cuisine en gestion libre".  So I bought some food at a little grocery store in Hôpitaux-Neufs, a town about 1.5 hrs from my destination.  I considered that I could manage some extra weight for that final push, so I bought a big can of lentils & salted pork, a box of cherry tomatoes, four yoghurts, two bananas, etc.  All that was added to what was left of the food that I had bought in Les Fourgs – some cheese and sausage, several nectarines, etc.  So my pack was heavy!...

Well, it was all uphill from Hôpitaux-Neufs to Le Morond – about 425 m. vertical gain – and it took me two hours.  During the latter part of the climb, I was under or beside a chairlift that was carrying people from Metabief (near Hôpitaux-Neufs) to the summit of Le Morond.  I must admit that, had I known about that chairlift, I would have been tempted...

Upon arrival at the refuge, I found that I had the place to myself.  It was rather eerie to be alone in a refuge; so often, mountain refuges are bustling, crowded places.  So I did not have to wait for a place in the shower, and I enjoyed the dinner that had weighed me down as I hiked up that trail!

***
Looking back at Les Fourgs:


The chapel overlooking Les Fourgs:


Wide open countryside and big sky:




I was intrigued by this little, isolated house, which had an elaborate collection of radio antennae.  An NSA vacation home?...




I remembered that Mary and I stopped at a café for ice cream after a picnic lunch in Hôpitaux-Neufs during our hike in 1989.  I think this was the place, but it was closed...


I found another café where I could have some ice cream!


The hike up to Le Morond: at least the climb provided great views!



Note the chairlift:



Le Refuge du Gros Morond:


Tonight's dinner:


No comments:

Post a Comment