Sunday, August 23, 2015

Les Granges de la Vallée Étroite (2)

21 August 2015:  Today was a "rest day" in the Vallée Étroite, but I was not idle.  Our friends Didier and Marie drove over from Montgenèvre with several friends of theirs, and we hiked up to the Lac des Thures.  Hiking up the trail without my backpack, I felt weightless!
*    *   *
This morning in the Vallée Étroite:



Le Grand Séru:


Our group, relaxing at the Lac des Thures:


And enjoying a drink back at the refuge:


The Three Kings (I Re Magi) – left to right: Balthazar, Melchior & Gaspard – tower over the northeast side of the Vallée Étroite. 


Back at the refuge, I chatted with Lilian, a very friendly and good-spirited young man.  He is hiking on the GR5 for about a week in ultralight style.  His gear – which includes camping and cooking equipment – and clothing weigh about 7 kg!  One interesting example of how he saves weight is that his poncho is also the rain fly for his tent.  For comparison, my pack, when fully loaded (including food and water – but not, of course, any camping or cooking gear), weighs about 13 kg. 






No comments:

Post a Comment