Thursday, January 14, 2016

Waynesboro, VA, to Nashville, TN

13 January 2016:  Today definitely put the "road" in road trip!  I drove from Waynesboro to Nashville, a distance of about 510 miles (820 km).  No stops for tourism along the way; the most noteworthy event was crossing the border between the Eastern and the Central time zones.  The drive (on I-81 in Virginia and eastern Tennessee; then I-40, which I will follow through several states) was really beautiful.  The weather was sunny and quite cold (around 18° F / - 8° C in the morning).  I'm sorry not to have some good photographs of the countryside that I drove through, but there are very few places where one can stop on American interstate highways.  One must usually exit from the highway, which is generally not so convenient as a roadside rest area.

I chose to stop outside Nashville and get a room in a chain motel.  Tonight's dinner was in a restaurant, the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, that is also part of a chain, but it certainly had some genuine Southern flavor -- including the accent and manners of the waitress who served me.  I enjoyed a dinner of spicy grilled catfish with baked sweet potato (sweetened further with the addition of brown sugar) and cornbread.

*   *   *
The principal view today:


My lunch stop:



A good Southern dinner:



No comments:

Post a Comment